Tuesday, April 28, 2015

ISABELA: Food trip and pasalubong


The reasons why I wanted to visit Isabela are to eat an authentic pancit from one of its towns and try some of Ibanag delicacies. Good thing I grabbed a pasalubong map from Choose Philippines page. Here are the three delectable food items I’ve tried:



1. Pancit Cabagan


Tuguegarao City’s Pancit Batil patung has its rival in the form of Pancit Cabagan from Isabela. It uses the same handmade miki noodles but differs greatly in terms of ingredients used. Based on my web search, Josie’s Panciteria serves the best pancit in town. You can see various tarpaulins of TV shows and magazine articles where it was featured.


The pancit was believed to be brought by a Chinese immigrant who started noodle-making industry in Cabagan during early 1900s. The ingredients for the pancit were incorporated by the locals, such as the Ilocano Igado, Lechon Carajay and hard-boiled quail eggs.


From Cabagan town center where I visited the Catholic church and town hall, I rode on a traysi and went to the panciteria at the highway. Since it was my first breakfast in Isabela, I ordered their specialty and my famished self can’t help waiting for my order. Time to attack!



The savoury and saucy broth complements with the thin miki noodles. The servings are great! It’s like eating my noddles and favorite viands in one! Pancit ulam kumbaga!



2. Binallay


While looking for a jeepney bound to Isabela’s provincial capitol, I saw this little hut selling Ibanag delicacies. The eponymous name of the cafĂ© made me buy this banana-wrapped kakanin.


At first look, it was like a white kalamay. It was tasteless but the accompanying sugar syrup made it delectable. It’s like a plain palitaw or flat unsweetened smooth suman. I ate this when I got home as my breakfast.


3. Inatata


These cute little suman looks like a bullet magazine. Tied in bunches, these come in handy when travelling, so I bought one magazine.

Unwrapping a piece of inatata, I looked closely and it seemed that it was made from an indigenous rice variety. Most suman in Manila has the same color like white or res, but this one has varied color from brown to purple streaks. Its taste reminds me of biko with a hint of star anise of spice alike. I don’t know the spice exactly but I was able to finish the bunch in one sitting. Naimas! J

No comments:

Post a Comment