Thursday, October 13, 2011

Visita Iglesia in Batangas

Coat of arms Archdiocese of Lipa
Archidioecesis Lipaensis (Latin)
Arsidiyosesis ng Lipa (Tagalog)
The Ecclesiastical Province of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lipa


The Archdiocese of Lipa has jurisdiction in the province of Batangas and suffragan territories in the civil provinces of Quezon, Marinduque, and Aurora.

It was Palm Sunday then that I continued my journey of heritage churches. This time, I went to the sunny province of Batangas. My mother told me that they've gone visita iglesia at the province as part of their church activity. Since I first started my trip at Laguna followed by Cavite, why not in Batangas? Thus, I began my church visit.



My first stop is Tanauan City. I start my visita iglesia by attending mass at the first church I step onto. Here, St. John The Evangelist Church stands next to the old municipal hall, now the city's museum. You can see the people flocking and waiting for their palms to be blessed.



After the mass, I took a jeepney ride on the way to Lipa City. In this city, the Archdiocese of Lipa  holds its masses at Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Sebastian



Not so far from the cathedral of Lipa City, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish is administered by Carmelite sisters where one of them witnessed a miracle of Virgin Mary.



Going westward ang passing through lake towns, I reached Sta. Teresita where they have St. Therese of The Child Jesus Parish as the town's namesake.



What I really wanted to visit is the Heritage Town of Taal. As I see in postcards and history books, Taal is famous for having one of the largest churches here in Asia, the Basilica of St. Martin of Tours. I was in awe when I saw this heritage structure. This massive church stands on a hill overlooking the well-preserved houses in the vicinity. It's like a stronghold or great palace of faith.



Another pilgrimage site in Taal is the Shrine of Our Lady of Caysasay. It's also adjacent to the ruins of Sta. Lucia where its wells said to have miraculous waters.
 


Nearby Taal is the progressive town of Lemery. The St. Roch Parish is just across the municipal building.



Going back to eastward route, the town of Bauan has Immaculate Conception Church housing a miraculous cross venerated in it.



My last stop for one-day trip is the Basilica of The Immaculate Conception at Batangas City, one of 12 Minor Basilicas in the Philippines conferred by the Catholic Church.



I embarked on a second visita iglesia in Batangas last 2013. My first stop is San Jose, known as the Egg Capital, due to abundance of poultry farms in the town. Here, Archdiocesan Shrine of Saint Joseph the Patriarch stands on a hill overlooking the plaza and municipal hall. The interior retains the unobstructed view of altar.


Passing through Lipa City, my second stop is the Cattle-trading Capital town of Padre Garcia. This town was formerly known as Lumangbayan,  as this were the townsfolk originally settled before thy transferred to town of Rosarion, due to outbreak of World War II. Most Holy Rosary Parish still stands after renovation and the patroness remained in this church.

The adjacent town of Rosario was aptly named because of the patroness in their flagship church, Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish.

The easternmost town of Batangas is a heritage town known for old houses and fine sand beaches.  San Juan retains its old glory with Saint John Nepomucene Parish as their patron since its establishment.

Lastly, the trading town of Ibaan stands proud at an intersection with Saint James the Greater Parish as their patron and managed by Oblates of Saint Joseph.


I also included here the heritage church and a National Cultural Treasure. The Immaculate Conception Church of Balayan is one of the few churches built by secular priests that is administered by Filipinos.





North-West routeTanauan City-Lipa City-Sta. Teresita-Taal-Lemery-Bauan-Batangas City
South-East Route: San Jose-Padre Garcia-Rosario-San Juan-Ibaan



Have a blessed Batangas trip everyone! (n_n)

No comments:

Post a Comment