Monday, August 1, 2016

GUIMARAS: Mango Capital of the Philippines





The province of Guimaras is a 15-minute boat ride away from Iloilo City. This mango-rich island used to be a sub-province of Iloilo until 1992, when it became full-fledged. At Jordan passenger port, you'll be welcomed by the yellow fruit, that is, mango!


Alighting at the port, you can visit the tourist center where officers can give you maps to explore the island, and utmost assistance to visitors who want to avail their services. Since I'll visit the island for a day, I asked for a map and the terminal where jeepneys are. 


I walked few kilometers until I reach the Jordan municipal hall currently under renovation. 


Flagging a jeepney bound to Brgy. San Miguel, finally I reached the vast grounds where pasalubong center, capitol building and museum are located. 
Capitol building
Museum

Lunch selfie with mango pizza and shake at Pitstop

After taking lunch at The Pitstop, I flagged a tricycle leading me to Trappist Monastery, the sanctuary of Benedictine monks in Visayas. It was like they're the counterpart of Good Shepherd Sisters in Baguio City. Trappist is also known for producing quality mango-based products manufactured within their property. They do have a vast mango plantation where they pick the raw ingredients.

Local parish of Jordan was under the patronage of Saint Michael the Archangel. Hence, the namesake of Brgy. San Miguel.

I had to leave to meet my friend at SM Iloilo. It was a quick yet fulfilling visit in a Visayan island. Surely, I didn't forget to buy some mango-inspired products. Maayong biyahe!  


The pasalubong center at capitol grounds


No comments:

Post a Comment