Wednesday, February 15, 2017

PALAWAN: Food Trip and Pasalubong

Palawan is blessed with long coastline and verdant forests. Trying their local products and delicacies are a must, so I'm sharing some delicacies I’ve tried in this western frontier.

1. Balinsasayaw Soup
I used to know that this soup came from spit of balinsasayaw birds. Lately I knew that bird's nest was made by those spits (white in color but viscous when liquified). Pricey but delicious. Had this comfort food for dinner and shared with my friends (though I can finish one bowl...hehe).

2. Cashew Products




Palawan is a major producer of cashew nuts. Actually, most cashew nuts from Antipolo where imported from their province. Sacks of cashew were just cut open here prior to roasting/frying then sold to public. In Palawan, you can great discounts when you buy them at public market. Personally, I prefer roasted that fried, as the former retains cashew's nutty taste.

3. Hopia from Baker's Hill


Baker's hill used to be a humble bakery but due to fancy display and in-house zoo within its grounds, it became hugely popular. Still, patrons and tourists flock for their baked products. Among their best sellers are hopia. Monggo and Ube flavors remind me of Hopiang Tipas from Taguig. Difference is that their hopia is partly moist, chewy and has more ube flavor.

4. Seafood dishes


Palawan is abundant with seafood offerings. Hence, one of the best rated restaurants in Puerto Princesa City, KaLui, offer those bounty. Their refreshing salad named after a UNESCO heritage reef, is an assortment of sashimi (raw fish) with fruits of season. On the onther hand, seafood sisig oozes with coconut cream and you can feek the chewiness of squid, fish and other meats sizzling at your table.

5. Tamilok
One of the bizarre food I've ever tried! I only see those dare in television (e.g. Fear factor) and travel shows where they devour an arm's length of those slimy thing. Finally, I had the chance to try it after a lunch beside Sabang where boats docked from fetching tourists in underground river.
At first I was afraid (I was petrified...lol), but then, I dipped one of those mollusks and...gulp! It tasted like oyster but longer. The woody hint indicates that it feeds on wood of mangroves where it is usually gathered. I finished the mere six pieces..with some aftertaste. I somehow conquered my fear. :)
There are some delicacies that I haven’t tried due to budget constraints. Hopefully when I’ll have the chance to get back, I’ll try more (like crocodile meat perhaps). J

No comments:

Post a Comment