Friday, April 17, 2015

CAGAYAN: Food trip and pasalubong

As I travel in different provinces, food trip is very inseparable. Being curious on food delicacies each province can offer, I stumbled upon the so-called Pasalubong Map from www.choosephilippines.com. It is a very good infographic on what to expect when you splurge on a gastronomic adventure. But you have the option to add more.

Cagayan province delicacies highlighted.
Following my Cagayan route from the town of Aparri to Tuguegarao City, here are some of the delicacies the province has to offer:


1. Lal-lo's Milk Candy

While waiting for a van at Lal-lo's Centro bound to Gattaran, I saw a signage of milk candy just across the public market. There's a house which sells those sweet treats! At Php40, I bought a box of 12 pieces of candies. You can taste the carabao's milk and it's like the pastillas of Bulacan sans sugar. 


2. Alcala's Peanut

Across the municipal hall of Alcal at National Highway, there's a store selling peanut products. The signage says that it's an OTOP (One Town One Product) made by a cooperative of Alcala's women for their livelihood. A small pack or roasted peanuts cost Php30. It's a good thing to buy local products as this is my simple way of contributing to livelihood of cottage industries and home businesses.



3. Alcala's Milk Candy

You haven't gone to Cagayan especially in Alcala if you haven't tried their famous milk candy. A product of a family from Alcala, Teaño family sells their products at a house located at national highway, a bit far from town center. A pack of 12 candies costs Php40. The pure taste of carabao's milk makes you want to eat more of these sweet babies. Good thing they have a branch (actually a dental clinic of their family) that sells these candies at Lion's Road, Mandaluyong city across the integrated school.


4. Tuguegarao City's Pancit Batil Patung

One of the reasons why I wanted to go to Cagayan is to have a taste of their delectable noodle dish. After scouring the net, most of them rated Eva's Panciteria as the best in town, serving the noodle dish close to its original way of serving.

As our van from Iguig alighted at Brickstone mall, I flagged a traysi with Annafunan on its front since Eva's is at that barangay. Since it's a solo ride, I agreed to pay him Php60. I realized that it was a very long ride, passing the highway and entering subdivisions.

Finally, I got to visit the famous panciteria. It's a sunny afternoon and I'm so famished (extremely hungry) so I immediately entered and ordered the super special for Php80 and accompaniment: special halo-halo for Php40. I took the seat upstairs and patiently waited for my orders.







Yippee! My orders finally arrived. They are right! The serving is humongous! The pancit batil (mix) patung (topped with egg) has a cup of hot soup. Condiments of soy sauce, vinegar and calamansi are best with the pancit. Like eating lomi, I mixed it and poured on the top of pancit mountain. I have to say, this is my best brunch ever in Cagayan! 










Another suprise is their special halo-halo. Aside from the usual rice crispies and ube, what I thought unusual is a kind of yellow kakanin (like biko) in it. I don't know what they call it buit it tasted fine.

Pancit with hot egg soup

Special halo-halo at Php40

Surprise halo!

Thanks for a wonderful meal! Burp. :)


5. Tuguegarao City's Hopia Ibanag


Before I left Cagayan, I passed by the bakery that sells the famous hopia in town. Luckily, the store opened at 7 am and waited for the store woman to open its doors. I bought two boxes at Php100. A box contains 12 pieces of bite-sized pastries. The prominent aroma of garlic doesn't overpower the milk taste of hopia. Truly a delectable pasalubong that I shared to my parents when I got home in Tanay, Rizal. 




4 comments:

  1. yung alcala milk candy sa alcala lang ba available /? or meron din around tuguegarao?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hindi ko po sure kung meron sa Tuguegarao pero usually sa mga pasalubong stores meron po. Bukod po sa Alcala, may naibilhan rin po sa Metro Manila: Teaño Mandaluyong residence (dental clinic po tapat ng school). 18 LIONS ROAD, MANDALUYONG CITY . Last time na bili ko po Php40 per pack. Thanks po.

    ReplyDelete