Monday, July 11, 2016

SAMAR: Foodtrip and Pasalubong

  Little I did know that pili nuts are also major products in this province. I got curious of a delicacies store in Catbalogan City that they offer the best products in Samar so I went there to purchase some. Here are some delicacies I’ve tried in this western part of the island.

1. Hopia de Pili
I used to know that all hopia (like the ones available in Binondo) are flaky and chewy. But when I got to Visayas region, it all changed to a definition of “a pastry filled with something inside”. In this case, Hopia de pili. A pastry with pili nut paste. Hard on outside but chewy inside. You can taste the delectable nuts inside. I see now why it’s a bit expensive. It’s one of Charito’s delights bestsellers.

2. Corioso
Common butter cookies are hard to bite but this one made with flowery mold is chewy. Corioso is a Spanish-era biscuit, and makers in Samar relive this treat as an afternoon snack.

3. Piñato
This is Samar’s answer to peanut brittle of Baguio and panutsa of Batangas. Packed in paper packets like pinasugbo (caramelized bananas), these sweet treats are easy to grab and can fill you up while in long travel. I brought a pack in the office and they liked it! Paranas town in Samar is known for households making these caramelized treats.

4. Tahong Crackers
As it’s listed in Choose Philippines’ infographic of Pasalubong map, I bought a small pack as my snack before I leave Catbalogan. Later, I learned that it was made in Jiabong town of Samar. Jiabong is considered as the “Green Mussels Capital of Eastern Visayas”. They took pride of it that they made a monument of it in their park and regarded mussels as their OTOP (one town – one product) to boost their economy and focus on production and processing of mussels-related products, from shells to its flesh, like tahong crackers as its finished product.


There are some delicacies that I haven’t tried due to budget constraints. Hopefully when I’ll have the chance to get back, I’ll try more. J

No comments:

Post a Comment