Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival Photoblog


It was my last day in Tacloban City when I had the opportunity to witness the street parade of Pintados-Kasadyaan Festival of Festivals 2016. Pintados and Kasadyaan were formerly two separate festivals but was later merged. The former one, Pintados, means “painted people” where it’s a cultural-religious celebration based on the body-painting traditions of the ancient tattooed "pintados" warriors. Kasadyaan that means “merriment” in English, was exclusively held on June 29. Still, the organizers and the provincial government hold this in honor of Sr. Santo NiƱo, where provincial towns can participate to celebrate life, culture and take pride of their town’s origins and products as well. The festival’s activities now spans the whole month of June.
I woke up at 7am to walk the city streets from my hotel to the Leyte Sports Development Center for the participants’ staging area. They were preparing for their colorful costumes and floats before they pass the major arteries of Tacloban downtown. I took a picture of this map from road ranger as my reference.

Please see below the ten contingents who participated in this year’s festival:

1. Buyogan Festival of Abuyog, Leyte

2. Tulo-Usa Festival of Tolosa, Leyte



3. Sanggutan Festival of Barugo, Leyte
 


4. Manaragat Festival of Tribu Katbalaugan of Catbalogan City, Samar


5. Tribu Siete-Quatro of Barangay 74 Nulatula


6. Tribu Mangirisda



7. Tribu Mananguete


8. Banigan Tribe



There are sponsored floats and pageant candidates who joined the parade. They gave away snacks, biscuits and even canned goods to parade watchers. I got Rebisco biscuits and Gardenia bread while awaiting them.






Before I get back to GV Hotel, I went to a shirt printing stall to have a Pintados souvenir tee. As much as possible, I buy from the locals as my little way of supporting tourism in the area.





I was not able to watch closely the performances in the athletic oval, but I’m happy to witness such momentous cultural event that happens only once a year. It’s more fun in the Philippines indeed. Maupay nga Patron!
Selfie with street dancers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment